The rest was made up of service engines and Departmental locomotives.companies.Britain's railways was now made up of the Western Region, Southern Region, Scottish Region, Eastern Region, North Eastern Region and London Midland Region - the old LNER being divided a mongst the two newly- formed Regions: Eastern and North Eastern, whilst the Scottish Region was composed partly of the former LMS and LNER.
(Above) During steam days, four trains ran in each direction daily on the Harrogate-Pateley Bridge service, with additional trains on Saturday.
Most workings were performed by Wilson Worsdell's Class G5 0-6-0T No 1839, which continued to work the branch as No 67253 until closure in April 1951.
Finally, the batch of WD 'Austerity' freight locomotives, built to Ministry of Supply design, and working on loan at the time of nationalisation, were purchased by BR in early 1949 and renumbered in the 90,000s(Above-Below) Opened on , the 14-mile single-track Nidd Valley Railway diverged from the Harrogate-Ripon line at Ripley Junction and ran along the Nidd Valley to a single-platform terminus at the foot of the main street at Pateley Bridge.
The intermediate stations on the branch were Ripley Valley, Hampsthwaite, Birstwith, Darley and Dacre.
When the big day came, Brian took this shot (below) of a resplendent Gresley A4 Pacific No 60028 Walter K.