The land that became the town was largely drawn from two land grants from 1816, during Florida's Second Spanish Period: one to Maria Taylor, née Suarez, and one to Juan Le Maestre.By 1821 a small community had grown there, and local residents plotted out the streets for a town, which they soon named "Jacksonville" after Andrew Jackson.These districts partially correspond to the vernacular areas.
The areas include both urban neighborhoods within the old city limits as well as further-out suburban and rural communities.
Three have "directional" names, a common characteristic in geographical areas.
The most commonly used vernacular areas are Northside, located north of Downtown; Arlington, east of Downtown across the St.
Johns River; Southside, across the river from Downtown to the south, and Westside, to the west of Downtown.
Downtown is the central business district of Jacksonville.